Thank you for your interest in Horizon Christian School! With it's warm and friendly environment, strong academics, and emphasis on values such as respect, integrity, honesty, and compassion, we believe you may find just the right "fit" for your child at Horizon.
A Dozen Great Reasons to Check Out Horizon Christian School
- Classes are just the right size. The average class is less than 20 students and many are less than 15. Our board is committed to a low student-teacher ratio in order to maximize individual instruction and attention.
- Great teachers. Our teachers have a passion for their students and for teaching. They take the time to learn about each student and develop a relationship based on mutual respect and Christian love. They strive to develop a customized education plan for each student that will help them reach their goals.
- Strong teacher – parent relationships. Our teachers work to develop close partnerships with parents including frequent feedback via telephone calls, emails, and conferences. Their goal – working together for the success of that student, encouraging and motivating him or her in all they do.
- A safe and caring community. At Horizon, we believe that relationships are key to building a better community. Whether it's student to student, student to teacher, or student to mentor, good relationships are stressed. We focus on creating a joyful, supportive, and challenging environment where students can grow academically, spiritually, emotionally, and physically.
- Shared goals, values, and priorities. The admissions process results in creating a peer group of students who share similar goals, values, and priorities. In the classroom, on the playground, or at an Art Festival, students challenge and learn from each other, forming strong bonds of friendship that will last a lifetime.
- A beautiful facility. The newest, state of the art facility in the Columbia Gorge on eight scenic acres.
- Tools to grow. A rich curriculum, up to date technology and science labs, a media center, field trips, retreats, Bible classes and discussions, scripture memorization, prayer groups, chapels, mentoring, service and mission projects, and extracurricular activities all provide an opportunity for academic, social, and spiritual growth.
- Opportunities for spiritual development. From academics to fine arts and sports, teachers are free to teach God's truth and help students apply its truth to their lives. Whether it's asking the difficult questions, getting to know the God of the universe, living out their faith, or learning and socializing with peers who share a desire to love and know God, there's a place at Horizon for students at all levels of spiritual development.
- Challenging competitions. Competition can challenge us to new heights. Horizon students have opportunities to challenge each other not only in the classroom, but also in competitions with other students throughout the northwest in Creative Writing, Spelling Bees, Science Fair, Music Events, Vocal Competitions, Art Festivals, and more!
- Opportunities for serving others. Our students are encouraged to get involved – to look outside of themselves and see the "bigger picture" by being a part of their community through service projects.
- Captivating mentoring. Adult mentors from throughout the community, who have a heart for teenagers, meet in small groups with students in grades 8-12 in an open forum of meaningful sharing and discussion of life experiences. Mentors fill key roles in the lives of students and the program is a cornerstone at Horizon.
- Competitive sports. Our well-coached Horizon Hawks soccer, basketball, and golf teams are frequent contenders for division titles at the 1A - OSAA level. Our organized sports programs begin at 5th grade and offer significant playing time, and a "classroom" for teaching character development and exceptional sportsmanship.
Student Profile - What is Horizon looking for in applicants?
Horizon Christian School seeks students who will enjoy and benefit from an environment that focuses on a high academic standard and where spiritual growth is encouraged. Horizon admits students who exhibit values and goals consistent with our mission and vision: to educate students for the glory of God, to demonstrate spiritual and academic excellence, to model the Christian life, and to enrich the community we serve. Students seeking admission are evaluated on the basis of their report cards, references, admission questionnaires, interviews, and potential to perform satisfactorily at Horizon Christian School.
Horizon Christian School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.